Vendor Registry provides assistance to register suppliers to receive payment. We also assist bidders and process bidder's list applications for those wishing to receive notice of state bidding opportunities.

New Vendor (Supplier or Individual) Online Application

New vendors (suppliers and individuals) looking to receive payment from the State should use our online supplier registration pages to apply for a vendor (supplier) number, Online Application

  1. Five short pages requesting your company or name, address, contact information and tax identification number (TIN or SSN). View Quick Help Guide. (1 MB pdf)
    • Choose and complete the appropriate IRS US W-9 or Foreign W-8 form below. This form will need to be attached to your application when submitting.
  2. All supplier registration applications will be reviewed for approval process by the Vendor Registry Office.
    • Any questions related to your registration will be communicated through the email used on your application.
  3. Once approved, you will receive an email with your assigned Supplier ID.
  4. To expedite your payment, let the agency issuing payment know when you have received your approved Supplier ID.  This should not be confused with your Registration ID (provided upon submitting your registration application.

Payee (Vendor) Forms for US Individuals, Businesses, and Political Subdivisions

Payee (Vendor) Forms for Foreign (non US) Individuals, Businesses and Political Subdivisions

Generally, 30% must be withheld 30% from the gross amount paid to a foreign payee unless you can reliably associate the payment with valid documentation that establishes either of the following.

  1. The payee is a US person.
  2. The payee is a foreign person that is the beneficial owner of the income and is entitled to a reduced rate of withholding. View the IRS recommendation about obtaining proper documentation before making a payment. 

The IRS supplies four different W-8 forms to certify foreign status. Select the appropriate form for your type of business:

  • Certificate of Foreign Status of Beneficial Owner for US Tax Withholding (Individuals) IRS Form W-8BEN. Payees outside of the US do not need a US taxpayer ID to complete this form. IRS instructions on completing form. 
  • Certificate of Status of Beneficial Owner for US Tax Withholding (Entities) IRS Form W-8BEN-EIRS instructions on completing form.
  • Certificate of Foreign Person’s Claim that Income is Effectively Connected with the Conduct of a Trade or Business in the United States IRS Form W-8ECI. This form requires the payee to have a valid US taxpayer ID. IRS instructions on completing form.
  • Certificate of Foreign Government or Other Foreign Organization for US Tax Withholding IRS Form W-8EXPIRS instructions on completing form.
  • Certificate of Foreign Intermediary, Foreign Flow-Through Entity, or Certain US Branches for US Tax Withholding IRS Form W-8IMYIRS instructions on completing form.

You may want to refer to the IRS "Instructions for the Requester of Forms W-8BEN, W-8ECI, W-8EXP, and W-8IMY" for further comparisons and explanations of the different forms to use.

Online Supplier Maintenance

An approved supplier may login to the portal to review and submit changes of vendor information to the Vendor Registry Office for approval. Examples of changes may include updates to addresses, contacts, and payment information. Vendor Registry will review submitted changes for approval. 

Changes in legal or business name, taxpayer identification number, or federal employer identification number require a new W-9 or W-8.

Paper Vendor Account Changes

  • Payment changes: To change your payment method, add a bank account or make changes to your ACH information contact the agency issuing your payment. 

For questions, contact Vendor Registry or 701.328.2773.

1099 Reporting

Vendor Registry provides assistance and oversight of supported 1099 Reporting.  The Office of Management and Budget, Vendor Registry distributes 1099 forms to recipients and electronically files with IRS.  Agencies are responsible for collecting necessary paperwork from suppliers and individuals to report 1099 reportable payments.

Vendor Registry Office is responsible for all vendor registration approvals or setup of payees used for payment by state agencies.  The policies and procedures established and used by Vendor Registry for 1099 reporting adhere to OMB Fiscal Policy 110 - Form 1099 Compliance and IRS requirements. View IRS Backup Withholding Requirement.

The state is responsible for issuing a 1099 for payments made by check/ACH.  The Internal Revenue Code requires that Form 1099 be filed for certain payments.  A reportable payee is an individual, combination of individuals, sole proprietorship, partnership, or trust.  The agency is required to withhold 28 percent of the payment to the payee if Form W-9, Request for Taxpayers Identification Number and Certification, is not filed with the agency. A W-9 is required for all non-state employee vendors NOT paid with a procurement card and is to be filed with Vendor Registry.

All monies received by the payee must be reported.  It is the payee's responsibility to report to IRS those expenses that are business connected.  Non-state employees must be paid as state employees when expenses are involved.  The same IRS rules apply if there is no overnight stay.  Agencies that pay for these expenses must report them as taxable income.

All 1099 payments and questions on forms received should be addressed to the agency that made the payment.

1099 Information Disclaimer

To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.

This web site may contain links to other locations. These links should be considered referrals only, and should not be taken as an endorsement.